Hephzibah: My Delight Is In Her

"For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
for Jerusalem's sake I will not remain quiet,
till her righteousness shines out like the dawn, her salvation like a blazing torch.
The nations will see your righteousness, and all kings your glory;
you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will bestow.
You will be a crown of splendor in the LORD's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God.
No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate.
But you will be called Hephzibah (my delight is in her) and your land Beulah (married);
for the LORD your God will take delight in you, and your land will be married.
As a young man marries a maiden, so your sons (Builder) will marry you;
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you....
They will be called the Holy People, the Redeemed of the LORD;
and you will be called Sought After, the City No Longer Deserted."
Isaiah 62:1-5, 12

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

~Blue Mask, Job, and the Ocean~



As I sit here in my little purple chair, I am wearing a blue facial mask and doing my Bible Study. Thank God we can meet Him wherever we are. I mention this because I’m studying the subject of pride right now. I just took a picture of my blue face with my webcam, which you shall never see. Call it pride. Call it self-preservation. I mentioned that I can meet God looking like this, I don’t really feel like I have to greet you looking like this, unless you can’t see me. As the mask dries and my face tightens, I want to share a treasure I was reminded of just now as I read thru Job 38.

“Who shut up the sea behind the doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place, when I said, ‘This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt’?”
Job 38: 8-11

I love this imagery. I want what the oceans have: freedom within the boundaries of God. There are no other boundaries that speak of freedom the way His do. Just think about it. If you’ve been to the ocean recently, think about what you saw. I was at Myrtle Beach and then in Seattle this past spring. I’d never seen the ocean before. The waves were rolling at Myrtle Beach and they were beautiful. I was in awe.
As I study pride, I realize that there’s a good pride. Did you see that last part of the passage I quoted earlier? “….Here is where your PROUD waves halt?” The ocean waves know where to stop, and if they go beyond what we think they should, we need to remember, God has commanded them where to stop. They’re majestic and they’re beautiful. They’re stately and perfect. They’re perfect because God made them that way. As the oceans play and revel, sing and dance, they point to the Almighty God and shout, “HE CREATED US!!!!” If we would but listen, we’d hear them as they tell the world of His majesty and His splendor.

Pride in and of itself is evil and it’s the main clue satan is working in our lives…when pride pops up. I’m realizing more and more how much pride runs my life. It’s a sobering thought. Pride is what made satan get kicked out of heaven. Pride is my enemy. To become humble is not to hate ourselves, but to turn to the Creator of all things and see how great He is. Hating ourselves is just another form of pride, and once again, the enemy wins.

Humility is where we find God. God gives grace to the humble, He lives with the humble, and He respects those who are humble. (James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5, Isaiah 57:15, Isaiah 66:2….yes, I cheated, it was in my Bible Study Book, but I knew them all anyway)



“The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.”
Psalm 16:6

The above is one of my favorite passages. God gives good gifts to His children; His word is proof of that. I know I repeat myself, but I crave what the Oceans have as I read Job 38. God promises in Psalm 16:6 that I do have it. I just have to explore the boundaries, just as the ocean does, and rejoice that I am a child of God. It’s like I’m in those boundaries….now what. “Live, beloved,” He whispers. “Enjoy the boundary lines, you’re not missing out on anything when you walk and live with me. You have a delightful inheritance, receive it. Sing, dance, play, and have fun. Marvel at your creation, and praise the Creator.” And it’s in doing this I, too, will point to Him and tell the world, sometimes without saying a word, that He reigns.

Just as the oceans roll past what is acceptable to human knowledge, sometimes God may call us to be socially unacceptable as we run with Him and do what He does. Sometimes the “right thing” isn’t the “God thing”. All I can say is, walk with Him, know Him, and then we’ll know ourselves and what He wants from us. I know I’m always asking, “What am I supposed to do with my life?” and as I take in God’s word as truth and as the answer to my very life, the answer is right in front of me: “Know me, I’ll show you what to do, just know me, experience me.”


“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. BUT GOD HAS REVEALED IT TO US BY HIS SPIRIT.”

1 Corinthians 2:10

“No one knows the Son the way the Father does, nor the Father the way the Son does. But I’m not keeping it to myself; I’m ready to go over it line by line with anyone willing to listen.” Matthew 11: 27b The Message

Speaking of The Message Bible, I’m going to go wash my face of this blue stuff- which has nothing to do with what I’m writing about except that I’m grateful God looks on the inside as I approach His throne and take in His words, and that He created me inside and out and He knows me, blue face or not- and I want to leave you with the Treasure from that paraphrase:

“And who took charge of the ocean when it gushed forth like baby from the womb? That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds, and tucked it in safely at night. Then I made a playpen for it, a strong playpen so it couldn’t run loose, and said, “Stay here, this is your place. Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.’”
Job 38:8-11


Wild tantrums…..proud waves….either way, we’re free within the boundaries God sets for us. So let’s play!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment